Thursday, April 3, 2014

A quirky selfie . . .


"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
-Oscar Wilde



{Our prompt for photo art Friday is quirky selfie}


Sheesh, it's a full time job just trying to be me, who has time to try and be someone else? Really . . . 
I sometimes struggle just to do me very well. You know, we are always our own worst enemy.

And on those days that I don't get in my own way with that mighty brick wall or allow others to put it up for me, I do feel like I could do anything. Okay, well maybe not anything, but certainly a lot.

I thought about just doing something else for today, because after all I went to bed really late last night
and had nothing planned at all and didn't get my 8 hours of beauty sleep or feel like taking a shower first thing when I woke up or washing the mascara off my face because I was too lazy to do it last night.

So, that's when you grab a hat to cover your bed head, and search for the sunglasses that you never wear anymore to cover the dark circles and smeared mascara, and put on some lipstick.

But what do you take your own picture of you doing? Ahhh, yes, doing something you love...looking at and for caterpillars on your milkweed. {They are officially 1 week old today!} 

Hi, my name is Kim, and I'm a nature nerd . . . and proud of it! ;)


And because some others have said it better than I, I want to share some random quotes I found:

1. "I think everybody is weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it." - Johnny Depp  

Yes Johnny I agree, we all have a weird factor, we should accept that in others as well as ourselves.

2. "Be yourself. Be true to that, to your heart. Patience. See what happens if you step back instead of bounding forward." -Nora Roberts

Yep, it's awfully hard to be true to yourself if you are always running faster than yourself. I like patience, and I like slow, and I like quiet.

3. "The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
-Steve Jobs

No, I won't be changing the world like Steve Jobs, but if I can change the mind of just one person's attitude
towards nature, turn their fear of something into curiosity, and their curiosity into passion that will then
change another's mind . . . then yes, I believe I can change the world.

4. "I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings." - Mary Oliver

Yes, I want to be alive like the spirit in a child.

5. "Oh, never mind the fashion. When one has a style of one's own, it is always 20 times better."
- Margaret Olipahant

In other words, dance to the beat of your own drum, because fashion is way overrated.


In a nut shell . . . weird is good, let's celebrate it! Be patient it's where you will find yourself. We are all just crazy enough and that makes us capable of changing the world . . . the question is "will we?" If you've  lost your wings, you've forgotten about the child in you, but when you start dancing to the beat of your own drum you may just find them! And last but not least, looking through rose colored glasses isn't a bad thing, it just depends on what you see on the other side.

May you soar into the weekend! ;)
Love, Kim


Create-with-joy, Random Five Friday





49 comments:

Honey from the Bee said...

This post should be pinned to the top of your blog! :-) That photo is you! I love quotes and you selected a couple of my favorites - especially the Oscar Wilde one.

I've told my husband since I met him that one of the things I love about him is his weirdness. That's what I love most in all of my friends.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Oh yes, let's celebrate the quirky in ourselves.

That is such a great selfie, Kim and I think the quote by Mary Oliver is a perfect accompaniment.

Quintessential Kim!!!

Inspired By June said...

Double wow-wow! Kim, your selfie could not be any more perfect! <3

Anonymous said...

I so agree! I think we are all a little weird! And that's A.O.K.

Kim Cunningham said...

So true, but I don't think you are weird. I think you are awesome! Seriously wish we could come for coffee and just see your nursery!

Gail Dixon said...

Kim, you are such a wise and wonderful soul. I love this post and could relate to almost every word. Keep being yourself and thank you for reminding me that I should do the same.

Anonymous said...

Good quotes and expression from your heart and great selfie Too!

terriporter said...

So creative and so you!

Carol said...

Kim, fabulous selfie! And a wonderful post! Just what I needed to read this morning. I love weird, I believe it is a great asset to living a good life, essential, in fact. Thank you for the reminder. xxx

Dotti said...

Kim, this is sooooo youuuuu! I think you should use it for your FOL avatar!

Dotti said...

Kim, this is sooooo youuuuu! I think you should use it for your FOL avatar!

Tamar SB said...

Love that Jonny Depp quote! This selfie is so great! You're so great (-:

A Garden of Threads said...

Awesome, love the post and photo. Have a fantastic weekend.

Beverly said...

Love this Kim!! So cute, so fun!! Oh yah, the hat - I want one!

My Garden Diaries said...

What a beautiful post all the way around! I loved that picture of you! And your quotes were spot on! A very happy weekend to you! Nicole xoxo

Kmcblackburn said...

Helloooooo gorgeous!

Nicki said...

Love the quirky photo, digging those glasses, and some pretty awesome quotes.

Fran said...

A truly adoarable photograph and story.

Ida said...

Well I must say this blew me away. It's fun, funky, quirky and wonderful.

Anonymous said...

fabulous photo..love the butterflies in your glasses. Great story too.

janice said...

This is perfect!

Joyce said...

photo with texture and the butterflies turned out so good!

Unknown said...

Looking good my friend....
I LOVE this.

Hugs~

Sherri B. said...

I love this post...both your words and your selfie! Lovely! :)

Michelle B said...

What a wonderful post! It frustrates me to no end when people try to 'keep up with the trends' in fashion or hair, or anything else for that matter. How can we be ourselves when we are trying to look and be like everyone else? We need to celebrate our individuality. Thank you for your words today. You are changing the world, one post at a time.

Stephanie said...

Best post - EVER! That photo is certainly one of a kind and Janet B's comment is right on target - it should be on your blog forever.

Naquillity said...

what a great selfie... i enjoyed your quotes as well. i've always been my own person since i can remember. i'd much rather someone like me for me than for something i'm not. hope all is well. have a great day~

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Kim what a fantastic post reminding me that it is good to be different. I LOVE your selfies it has a real 60's feel to it, and thanks for those great quotes...

Sandra said...

Great selfie! You look like a young girl! Well done. My favourite quotation is the first one by Oscar Wilde. It's just perfect!
Have a lovely weekend.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You can;t hid your beauty and wisdom behind those sunglasses ... This is the best selfie and I love the encouraging thoughts. I find that the friends I hang on to are the ones I can be weird with and then laugh togehter about it. You haven't changed my view about nature but you have nurished it ... I will forever be grateful. Beautiful post, Kim.

Andrea @ From The Sol

lisa said...

This is a terrific *selfie* post...and photo! Love all the quotes that remind us of our wonderful uniqueness.

Jill Foley said...

I love this - I'm a nature nerd, too! So glad I'm not the only one : )

Brenda said...

Love this quirky and very creative selfie! A wonderful combination of you and what you love.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Love the selfie it is perfect, and without the background information we would never know. Great quotes. Really like the Nora Roberts one.

Andrea Dawn said...

And what a lovely nature nerd you are, Kim. As I said to another artist in the gallery, a piece that is congruent with who the artist truly is has a magical quality to it that captivates ones attention and is so refreshing. You have accomplished that with your quirky selfie.

Donna Hopkins said...

Your confidence and sense of self are refreshing. My son often tells me that I am crazy -and then he adds, "and that's a good thing!" How wonderful it is to feel good in our own skin. Love your self portrait - very cool.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Beautifully written and photographed! Love those butterflies in your sunnies! You've found some great quotes Kim.

Barb said...

That is a beautiful photo of you - you're beyond creative with the butterflies and the glasses - great post! I agree, we are all weird in our own way so we should accept it in others.

Cathy H. said...

Love, love this! The selfie and the words! We each need to celebrate our uniqueness more!

Roxi H said...

That is just the coolest photo. And did you 'paste' the butterfly's in with Photoshop or were they that way?

Unknown said...

Kim!!💛that selfie is so fabulously you!!!! I adore it, the quotes and this post-you've outdone yourself!😊

ImagesByCW | OceanDreamIllustration said...

What a fantastic and inspiring post! I think we cannot be reminded often enough that it is good to be ourselves, once we find us, of course, no matter what. Thank you.

TangledBlueRose said...

The portrait is gorgeous and I LOVE the glasses, so much fun! Your selection of quotes is wonderful.

Linda/patchwork said...

Love your selfie. Very you, I believe.
And, the post and quotes are inspiring.
Hope your weekend is going great!

Jeanne said...

I think you won this challenge Kim! It is perfectly YOU

kathyinozarks said...

I just love this photo of you! I would make it your avatar on your blog-so perfect

Currie Silver said...

love love love this, Kim!! wondrously captured and captivating!!
BEautimous!!

Anonymous said...

This is great. I like it very much.

Liz said...

Love this Kim!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...